Thursday, June 15, 2006

Another Dream Come true

Today was an incredible day. Everyone on our team went to visit their sponsored family. If they did not have a sponsored family, they accompanied another team member. It is 6:30, I am in my room listening to everyone in the dinner line. The house if filled with laughter and a buzz of excitement.

Everyone is trying to tell their stories at the same time. I have waited almost 3 years for this moment. Some of my closest friends were able to experience what Melody and I experienced: Meeting our sponsored family and sharing a day with them. What is God doing here? How in the world did we (a computer geek and soccer mom) ever influence 22 beautiful human beings to come half way across the world and physically meet their family!!?? Only God could do something. It is really exciting to be part of something God is building. To be used to rescue lives and souls...it truly is fulfilling.

Today, I was the chauffer, missionary guide, part time interpreter (very part time), and laison between the Haines family and their precious sponsored family. It was my task to drive 3 hours up, down, and around like 6 mountains, weaving my way to a elementary school where I park the 4x4 and I lead them for a 90 minute walk to my widow Constance's house to meet their family. You see, the Haines family is another 90 minutes down the back side of the mountain...so they came to Constance's house to meet the Haines. (see Photos on the Haines Blog)

All the crap of getting here, and the struggle while we are here, and the trials, and the complaining kids or stressed wife, all this is worth it. It is worth it to sit inside a widows hut, holding hands, listening to her praying to the King of Kings so powerfully the walls seemed to move. That is what happened today, in my life, in a mud hut on the side of a mountain in Rwanda. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
You are becoming as good a writer as Melody. Your heart is so for God. I feel blessed to be supporting a ministry that has a person leading it with a humble heart for God.
Lynne Ross