Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Finally! Team 1 Arrives

Alas, Team one arrived, safe and sound. I was really proud of the GFR team today. Total JET LAG. Two days late. Exhausted. When I asked them if they wanted to go work on a home for a widow, they said YES! After we got them fed, we stuffed them into our Rosa (medium size bus) and off we went to work on widow NALWANGA’s new home. We were really amazed how much work had been done since we had left the day before. The community had come together to help her plant sweet potatoes in the area in front of her new home. The foundation was being put together with cement and bricks. The smell of cassava and corn cooking in the little tree stove filled the air while we worked. I watched the team members each fall in love with the children and everyone was so cheerful.

The community chair-woman, brought a group of children from the local school and they sang and danced for us…and some of the GFR college “kids” joined in. This team is being labeled as the Old ones and the Young ones. It is really an amazing mix. There are like 5 people in the range of 35-40, 3 people over 40, and 5 people between 20-22 years old. We all live together sharing 2 bathrooms. We are like a reality TV show just waiting to happen!

The young people always make me rethink things. I thought about how different my life would have been if I had come to Africa at their age…19, 20, or 21. Wow. What would have been different in my life? What decisions would I have made differently? Where would I be today? Have you ever thought about coming to Africa…how would your life change if you came to Africa now?














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben! I love your blog. Unfortunately I can't read it all on the website... it is kind of messed up! Anyway... it was great to see the team working even though they were so tired. I can't imagine! I can't wait to see you! Love you so much and miss you.

Melody

Anonymous said...

Ben,

Last Sunday I preached on becoming fully alive in Christ, and I know that being with the poor is what makes me come fully alive in Christ. Keep leading by example, bro.

I'm proud to call you my new friend and brother.

Peace,

Neil

Anonymous said...

I loved the picture of Rose (the little girl in the red cherries dress) She will live in the house we built. She was my shadow the two days that we were there building the house. It broke my heart when five minutes before we left on the last day, her grandmother, Dorothy, told us that Rose and her sister not only lost their parents to AIDS, but they are also HIV positive. It's so sad that these girls will have a shortened life.
Michelle