Monday, June 02, 2008

Hopless & Alone






Have you ever stared loneliness right in the face? If so, how long has it been since that has happened to you? When was the last time you were separated from your family? How long was it? Do you remember the traps your brain fell into? So many questions come into play. Fortunately for me, this has not happened very often for more than two weeks at a time, until now. This year I will have been away from my family for four weeks straight…and I won’t see Nathan or Hope for a total of 9 weeks. You may be thinking, well that’s really no big deal. I have thought about the men and women of our armed forces and how long they are away from their families. I can not imagine being 10,000 miles away for 1 year or 2. Ok, so a nine week missionary trip, or a two year military assignment…these are bad, but imagine never seeing your spouse again, and/or watching your children die off one at a time.

I have not experienced the feelings of having a friend die since my grandfather died 16 years ago. As I was sitting thinking these things, I thought of the many families I have met here in Africa. Death and loneliness are a common everyday occurrence. One of the worst I have seen was Maria Mtega. Take a moment to look into her eyes. You will see a deep void, a true hopelessness.

I met her two weeks ago in a small village in Tanzania with Craig and Mike. She is alone. She has lost almost everything. Only two grandchildren remain. She told me she had lost her husband and nine children. She could not even feed her two remaining grandchildren. I asked her if she still believed in God, and she said yes but that she was very confused where He had gone.

I was able to communicate to her the words that Melody had said to the first group of widows and orphans we met in Rwanda in 2004, “Maria, we are here to tell you that God has not forgotten you, that He knows your name and he loves you very much.” GFR Tanzania won’t open until August 1st, but Craig and Mike left the local church enough money to buy some food and to care for her until then, and to pay for one year of school for the oldest grandson…only $80.00. So the next day, the local priest delivered the start of hope to her. I can only imagine her face. Can you picture when she finds out that someone who does not know her will sponsor her for 3 years? I love this kind of work. It’s what God calls ALL of His children to do. Will you answer His call?

No comments: