Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Get to know Uwimanna


Get to know Uwimanna
Favorite drink: “Coka” Favorite food: Grilled whole fish. Nickname: “Uwi Uwi” When I first met Uwimanna, he was our security guard. Within days, my whole family fell in love with him, as he played silly games with each of our kids, like kick the ball past Uwi, or badminton, or volleyball, or chop the head off the Green Mamba! He literally saved Nathan and Michael’s lives one evening. He would sleep in a little guard shack on a cement floor. He worked in Kigali and traveled 6 hours one way 4 times a year to see his wife and 4 kids. He loves music. He was always sprinting to open the gate for the teams as we arrived home. When we would leave for the day, he and I would exchange “Nda Gukunda Cyanne” pronounced: (NDah GooKoonDah Channey) or “I love You”, Every morning he would have the GFR truck washed and polished without asking. He had such a servant’s heart. I was so amazed with his spirit that I asked him to move his family 7 hours to one of the villages we work in, and become the first GFR Hut to Home building manager. He is doing a great job. He is currently finishing up 5 homes and is waiting to start 3 more. Uwi is also very humble... He is trying to get into the choir at his church but he needs papers from his old church! He says he has never been more happy in all his life. Please pray for Uwimanna and his wife Denise as she is expecting a baby at the end of April! (Yes, that is 9 months after his GFR hire date!) He always says “goodbye my friend” in English. Thanks for loving me Uwi!

No comments: